Friday, December 17, 2004

SILENT NIGHT -You heard me all the way over where?

I have yet to brag on myself, and there is no time like the present. Today at work, a group of employees stopped on each floor of the building we occupy and performed several carols. It wasn't your average, "Hey, let's go and sing carols next week. How many people do you think we can round up?" kind of thing. This was basically a company choir that has been meeting since August, and had prepared a program.

When I found this out I was jealous because I have been singing for almost 25 years, and would have loved to participate. I have been told by many people that I am very good, and I sing solos often at the request of others. As I heard the choir start singing on my floor, the 23rd, I headed over to listen. They were actually very good. As they sang most everyone that came to listen was singing too. So I joined in, as I have already sung most of the songs they were performing, and sang the Bass line.

Then the Director said, "Our next song is Peace Peace, in which the second verse all of the listeners will be required to sing Silent Night." Through the years many of the church choirs I have been in have sung this song. It is a wonderfully beautiful piece of music. At the appointed time I began to sing Silent Night.

One thing that you will have to know is that I have a very strong support system and my voice carries, weather I belt out a song or not. It has been quite some time since I have sung in front of people that have never heard me before. When this happens, I love to watch the reactions of those in the room. As soon as I sang the first note everyone around, listeners, choir members, and the director all got whiplash when they snapped the necks to look at me. Each choir member smiled, a few gave the thumbs up. That is all a ham like me needs. I closed my eyes and let'er rip! What I did not realize was that all of the other listeners like myself had stopped singing as soon as they heard me, which meant I once again was doing a solo.

When I opened my eyes, 3 or 4 bars before the end of the song, I saw that there was now a crowd around us that had swelled to 5 times its original size. As soon as the song ended, there was a tumult of applause. The listeners were clapping, the choir was clapping, so what the heck I clapped too, except everyone was looking at me. The Director pointed to me smiling and said, "You sir, are a marked man!" Then everyone laughed.

One of the women that works for me said, "I was standing next to your desk (which is at the other end of the building) and I heard you, so I came to listen. All at the same time everyone in the choir was asking me why I had not signed up to sing. I said I didn't know. To which they replied, the email when out in August. I am a contractor so I am not on the distribution lists for the company. I have a feeling next August, that will not matter. I was then dragged to the last two floors to sing with the group and repeat my solo performance.

For the rest of the day I don't think I touched the ground once as I walked around humming Silent Night, and replaying this all in my head. It is always nice to be told you are a wonderful person, of that I will never ever have enough.

Today I ask 3 cheers for me. Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray!

Tomorrow, I will gladly give someone else a turn, for we all need a pat on the back every now and again, but today is all mine.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home