Politically Correct, Anti Lawsuit, or to Hell in a Handbasket?
It hit me this weekend that all of this political correctness has been brought on by hoards of lawsuits being filed against companies just because "Joe Six Pack" is trying to "Get Paid." Just think back to the to the 90's when EEOC was all the rage. Employers used self imposed quotas in order to "CYA" against lawsuits. In the late 90's someone sued the Kansas City Chiefs and the Price Chopper Food Stores because of the advertisement that spawned the "Chiefs and Chopper" Hatchet action, using the big foam hatchets to cheer on the Chiefs. The suit alleged that the action of using ones hand as a hatchet or using a foam hatchet in such a manner was an insult to American Indians (whoops Native Americans) everywhere. Then you guessed it, you can no longer "Chop for the Chiefs" anymore.
So I guess that I am now not so surprised that when I go Christmas shopping that I am greeted with "Happy Holidays" in stead of "Merry Christmas." I am sure that the whole PC thing started in the vain of making sure no one was making fun of anyone else, or defaming them in any way. Unfortunately, it has exploded into what we are all experiencing today because someone started the lawsuit craze and everyone with deep pockets, retailers in particular, are all filling sand bags in hopes of shoring up a front against another land slide of lawsuits.
What I fail to understand, however, is that if everyone is so offend by religion that we can no longer so much as utter the word "Christ-mas", then why are these same people not attacking Jews, and African Americans who chose to celebrate Chanukah and Kuanza in an effort to keep Christians from being affronted? Like my new friend David over at "Tales of a Wandering Mind" blog (See blogs I read on the left, I have yet to figure out how to link within a post.) says, the constitution allows for freedom to practice religion, not separation of church and state.
Things have gotten so bad now that even religion has jumped on the band wagon. Currently, the ELCA, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, is pondering weather or not to acknowledge homosexual unions, and or marry homosexual couples, and or allow openly homosexual individuals to be ordained in the Church. I apologize for not having the exact biblical reference from Leviticus, because I am without my Bible at the moment. However, it clearly states that homosexuality is abhorred by God and Punishable by Death. God is also very clear about how he feels regarding unrepentant sin, also punishable by death. Now before my friend Steve's blood pressure rises, the Bible also says that the wages of ALL SIN is death. I also believe that forgiveness is for everyone, with no exceptions. However, to repent is to acknowledge your sin and then do your best not to do it again.
Therefore, and this is only MY opinion, that the church without a doubt should except homosexuals into the church, after all church is just a fancy way to say hospital for sinners. No one is exempt from God's love and forgiveness. That said, to acknowledge homosexual unions, or to marry homosexuals, and finally to ordain them goes directly against God's Word. I also understand that the ELCA views the Bible differently than someone brought up in the LCMS, Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, namely me, because it believes that the Bible, while inspired by God was written by sinful men, therefore, open to interpretation.
I guess what irritates me most is that if I were to want to become a pastor in the ELCA and I openly slept around, also against God's word, and planned to make my congregation aware of my life style, and encourage them to do the same, I would be run out on a rail. So then why is it ok for someone who is living an openly homosexual lifestyle (In effect, openly and unrepentantly sinning.) to be allowed to be my spiritual guide and leader?
So I guess that I am now not so surprised that when I go Christmas shopping that I am greeted with "Happy Holidays" in stead of "Merry Christmas." I am sure that the whole PC thing started in the vain of making sure no one was making fun of anyone else, or defaming them in any way. Unfortunately, it has exploded into what we are all experiencing today because someone started the lawsuit craze and everyone with deep pockets, retailers in particular, are all filling sand bags in hopes of shoring up a front against another land slide of lawsuits.
What I fail to understand, however, is that if everyone is so offend by religion that we can no longer so much as utter the word "Christ-mas", then why are these same people not attacking Jews, and African Americans who chose to celebrate Chanukah and Kuanza in an effort to keep Christians from being affronted? Like my new friend David over at "Tales of a Wandering Mind" blog (See blogs I read on the left, I have yet to figure out how to link within a post.) says, the constitution allows for freedom to practice religion, not separation of church and state.
Warning to Steve...
I know that you and I do not agree in the following statements. I am still your friend, I still respect you and your opinions greatly. We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
Things have gotten so bad now that even religion has jumped on the band wagon. Currently, the ELCA, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, is pondering weather or not to acknowledge homosexual unions, and or marry homosexual couples, and or allow openly homosexual individuals to be ordained in the Church. I apologize for not having the exact biblical reference from Leviticus, because I am without my Bible at the moment. However, it clearly states that homosexuality is abhorred by God and Punishable by Death. God is also very clear about how he feels regarding unrepentant sin, also punishable by death. Now before my friend Steve's blood pressure rises, the Bible also says that the wages of ALL SIN is death. I also believe that forgiveness is for everyone, with no exceptions. However, to repent is to acknowledge your sin and then do your best not to do it again.
Therefore, and this is only MY opinion, that the church without a doubt should except homosexuals into the church, after all church is just a fancy way to say hospital for sinners. No one is exempt from God's love and forgiveness. That said, to acknowledge homosexual unions, or to marry homosexuals, and finally to ordain them goes directly against God's Word. I also understand that the ELCA views the Bible differently than someone brought up in the LCMS, Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, namely me, because it believes that the Bible, while inspired by God was written by sinful men, therefore, open to interpretation.
I guess what irritates me most is that if I were to want to become a pastor in the ELCA and I openly slept around, also against God's word, and planned to make my congregation aware of my life style, and encourage them to do the same, I would be run out on a rail. So then why is it ok for someone who is living an openly homosexual lifestyle (In effect, openly and unrepentantly sinning.) to be allowed to be my spiritual guide and leader?









2 Comments:
The good news for you, brother, is that I don't think the ELCA will ever do it. The deal in the Pacifica Synod (my post of Dec 5th) shows that attitude in spades. And the Dorado Covenant churches (which may only be a few in number, but represent probably +/- 5% of the active membership of the ELCA, by themselves) have already declared that they are going to take the Biblical stand. There will be a vocal (but in the end ineffective) minority, but they will not stand...that's what it looks like from here.
One fellow student here recently was railing against what he saw as "the potential horror of limp-wristed pastors holding the Body and Blood of our Lord." I don't think he, or you, have to worry about that happening any time soon. Any who *are* in the ELCA will move to the UCC before they are discovered and booted out.
As you say, I don't agree - but that's what I'm predicting. My other prediction is that the conservative ELCA churches will grow in number and power, the liberal ones will go independent or move to the UCC, and by the year 2015 the ELCA will be stratified into (1) conservative large or mega-churches, (2) new UCC congregations, and (3)rural/ethnic conregations of under 100 members. (I'd bet your current home congregation will end up at the small end of (1), by the way.)
My goal is to live long enough to collect on the bets - but I'm not sure I'll win *that* race, either.
By the way, here are the "seven texts" generally referred to as proof of God's understanding of homosexuality. If you search on "seven texts on homosexuality" on Google, you'll find plenty, pro and con, on the topic.
(Figured you knew an ex-seminarian for something...)
1)Genesis 19 (the Sodom story), and the parallel story of the outrage at Gibeah in Judges 19
2)Leviticus 18:22
3)Leviticus 20:13 (the "Holiness Code")
4)Romans 1:26 and following
5)1 Corinthians 6:9-10
6)1 Timothy 1:9-10
7)Jude 7
Post a Comment
<< Home