On Line Job Search
I recently found out that my company's contract, at my account, will be up in Feb. '06. Which means I need to be looking for another job. I did a search at www.monster.com and found a dream job, in my current field, that I believe I am very well qualified for. I applied online, via Monster, and will now wait to see what gives. I also submitted my resume to that company's website for further consideration if this one doesn't work out.
So far my problem has been that my field of expertize carries with it a huge sterotype. If you don't believe me, then tell me what comes to your mind when I say "Mailroom." Thought so. The ironic thing is that most mailrooms are now so automated that idiots can no longer work in them becuase you have to be computer literate to run the equipment. Granted, you don't have to be a Rhode's Scholar either, but it is not what it used to be.
Where this becomes a hinderence is when trying to change fields. Management is not so much what you know about a given field as it is about the soft skills. I don't have to know every little detail about your job to manage you. Yes it would help, but it is not a requirement for the job. Also, just because you know how to do everyone's job, does not make you management matirial either. I have a friend from India. He told me there is a saying there, "A hard working mule, can not become a race horse." I realize that is a bit simplistic, as well as, a huge generalization, but for the most part it is true.
The other thing is that my field is not the best paying either. If I were to do what I am doing right now, with the same number of people working for me, in another field, I would be making at least twice what I am making now.
It's all a catch 22. So I just never stop networking or looking for a better job, and one day I'll hit pay dirt.
So far my problem has been that my field of expertize carries with it a huge sterotype. If you don't believe me, then tell me what comes to your mind when I say "Mailroom." Thought so. The ironic thing is that most mailrooms are now so automated that idiots can no longer work in them becuase you have to be computer literate to run the equipment. Granted, you don't have to be a Rhode's Scholar either, but it is not what it used to be.
Where this becomes a hinderence is when trying to change fields. Management is not so much what you know about a given field as it is about the soft skills. I don't have to know every little detail about your job to manage you. Yes it would help, but it is not a requirement for the job. Also, just because you know how to do everyone's job, does not make you management matirial either. I have a friend from India. He told me there is a saying there, "A hard working mule, can not become a race horse." I realize that is a bit simplistic, as well as, a huge generalization, but for the most part it is true.
The other thing is that my field is not the best paying either. If I were to do what I am doing right now, with the same number of people working for me, in another field, I would be making at least twice what I am making now.
It's all a catch 22. So I just never stop networking or looking for a better job, and one day I'll hit pay dirt.









0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home