Fireworks on Thanksgiving Eve
My children and I attended the 8th annual Christmas Fireworks on the Lake this evening. This is our 5th or 6th year and we enjoy them a lot. I must say, however, that this year was a bit of a challenge. Because of the snow, we got there early to get a good parking spot, for optimal viewing. That meant that I was in a very small space with two young children who had been home from school all day with nothing to do.
The entire time we waited we complained that it was taking too long and that we couldn't take it anymore. Once the fireworks began, we cried because we couldn't see. (Even though we were given the best seat in the house, or car as it were.) Mind you, this was all going on while the rest of us were trying to listen the Christmas music being simulcast from the local radio station sponsoring the event.
On the way home we fought with our sister, which then turned into the world's loudest screaming match in the back seat of said car. The whole time that Dad is trying not to go into the ditch because of all the black ice on the highway. It didn't seem to matter that we literally passed 6 wrecks, 3 of which had fire and EMT crews with extrication equipment, or the fact that every time I even looked a the brakes our car slid sideways down the highway. I guess I am suppose to be happy that everything got totally quiet for the first 93 and a half seconds after I made them look at the crumpled cars with the people on carts heading the ambulance for their trip to the hospital before the screaming resumed at 20 dbs higher than what it stopped at.
I am happy to report, however, that both children are still alive at present. The happiness is due to the fact that they are both currently asleep, not because they are both still alive.
I am so not looking forward to our 4 hour trip to their grandparent's house for a Saturday Thanksgiving lunch. I am hoping I can secure a hotel room for that night. I do not intend to spend the night with my dead ex-wife's family. I was far less than fond of them when I was married to their daughter, and things didn't improve at all once we were divorced. Now that my ex-wife has died, I am forced to bite the bullet on holidays.
I will never ever tell my children how I feel about their mother's family. It is a gift I have chosen to give them. I am not resentful toward them one bit. They have just lost their mother, I do not intend to take their extended family away from them as well.
The entire time we waited we complained that it was taking too long and that we couldn't take it anymore. Once the fireworks began, we cried because we couldn't see. (Even though we were given the best seat in the house, or car as it were.) Mind you, this was all going on while the rest of us were trying to listen the Christmas music being simulcast from the local radio station sponsoring the event.
On the way home we fought with our sister, which then turned into the world's loudest screaming match in the back seat of said car. The whole time that Dad is trying not to go into the ditch because of all the black ice on the highway. It didn't seem to matter that we literally passed 6 wrecks, 3 of which had fire and EMT crews with extrication equipment, or the fact that every time I even looked a the brakes our car slid sideways down the highway. I guess I am suppose to be happy that everything got totally quiet for the first 93 and a half seconds after I made them look at the crumpled cars with the people on carts heading the ambulance for their trip to the hospital before the screaming resumed at 20 dbs higher than what it stopped at.
I am happy to report, however, that both children are still alive at present. The happiness is due to the fact that they are both currently asleep, not because they are both still alive.
I am so not looking forward to our 4 hour trip to their grandparent's house for a Saturday Thanksgiving lunch. I am hoping I can secure a hotel room for that night. I do not intend to spend the night with my dead ex-wife's family. I was far less than fond of them when I was married to their daughter, and things didn't improve at all once we were divorced. Now that my ex-wife has died, I am forced to bite the bullet on holidays.
I will never ever tell my children how I feel about their mother's family. It is a gift I have chosen to give them. I am not resentful toward them one bit. They have just lost their mother, I do not intend to take their extended family away from them as well.









1 Comments:
The good news, in this post, was the line starting with "I am happy to report, however, that both children are still alive at present."
But trust me, I'm not even a parent - but I understood exactly what you meant when you said, "The happiness is due to the fact that they are both currently *asleep*, not because they are both still alive."
Several of my single-parent friends report that a repeated prayer (especially late at night) goes something like, "God...either take *them* - or take *me*. But do something soon, please...'cuz one or the other of us has GOT to go..."
Hang in there, brother. I'll wait to hear about your moral dilemma(s)...
Post a Comment
<< Home