When Your Stellar Best Just Won't Do
Well folks, this doesn't happen often, but I am at a huge and total loss. Yesterday I received a letter telling me that I was unable to be chosen for the position for which I had interviewed. Let me tell you, it was like the Hulk had punched me in the stomach. I actually fought back bile, as I read those words.
Just so you understand, that job was SO mine. Before I walked into the interviewer's office, I already had 6 more years of management and industry experience than they required. Not to mention that I am currently employed by a company which is paid to consult in this particular field. Unlike my blog, when I write something for work, or a resume and cover letter, I actually make several revisions, AND use spell check! (Who'd have thought?) I am very articulate, and have always received high marks in every category when receiving my yearly reviews. The recruiter all but begged me to interview with them.
When I walked out of the interview, I thought to myself, "Well, this one is in the bag." I usually interview well, however, this one went like butter. Frankly, I think it is the best interview I have ever given. I always ask the interviewer what his or her thoughts are regarding my qualifications, and what my chances are. In this case I was told, that I was the second of four to be interviewed, and that both I and the first person he interviewed were very strong candidates, each with different strengths, but he was sure that either of us would be a very good fit for the position. Furthermore, I felt very good vibes, via the interviewers questions, comments, and body language during the entire interview.
Now, I realize that if there are four candidates, three will not get the job. The interviewer told me on several times that they were a really big "small" company, and were getting too big for their britches and needed guidance from someone that had experience with larger corporations. (Hey, man that's me. All of my 16 years of experience have been with major corporations. Sprint, Hallmark Cards, GE, but who's dropping names, right?)
The only thing I can figure is they had an internal candidate already pegged for the job. I plan to contact the recruiter on Monday morning to find out just what the eff is up. She better not be planning on using the "We found someone with more experience." bullshit on me! If so, I will reply with the fact that I have trouble understanding that, because I possessed far more experienced than required to begin with, someone with more experience than I should be applying for an executive position.
What makes this even more frustrating is the fact that this is the second time in a row that this has happened to me, in less than a year. Not to mention the impending doom that awaits my current contract, (I wish I could say more regarding that, however, Dooce, yeah know.) OR the fact that if you are a programmer companies always need lots and lots of you. In my case, each company only needs ONE person with my experience to do what it is that I do exceptionally well, thus the playing field is not very wide.
I prayed and prayed over this. I put myself on every prayer chain I know of. Therefore, the answer to all of this is that this position was not in God's plan for my life. I will just have to wait and see what wondrous thing he has in store for me and my children next.
Just so you understand, that job was SO mine. Before I walked into the interviewer's office, I already had 6 more years of management and industry experience than they required. Not to mention that I am currently employed by a company which is paid to consult in this particular field. Unlike my blog, when I write something for work, or a resume and cover letter, I actually make several revisions, AND use spell check! (Who'd have thought?) I am very articulate, and have always received high marks in every category when receiving my yearly reviews. The recruiter all but begged me to interview with them.
When I walked out of the interview, I thought to myself, "Well, this one is in the bag." I usually interview well, however, this one went like butter. Frankly, I think it is the best interview I have ever given. I always ask the interviewer what his or her thoughts are regarding my qualifications, and what my chances are. In this case I was told, that I was the second of four to be interviewed, and that both I and the first person he interviewed were very strong candidates, each with different strengths, but he was sure that either of us would be a very good fit for the position. Furthermore, I felt very good vibes, via the interviewers questions, comments, and body language during the entire interview.
Now, I realize that if there are four candidates, three will not get the job. The interviewer told me on several times that they were a really big "small" company, and were getting too big for their britches and needed guidance from someone that had experience with larger corporations. (Hey, man that's me. All of my 16 years of experience have been with major corporations. Sprint, Hallmark Cards, GE, but who's dropping names, right?)
The only thing I can figure is they had an internal candidate already pegged for the job. I plan to contact the recruiter on Monday morning to find out just what the eff is up. She better not be planning on using the "We found someone with more experience." bullshit on me! If so, I will reply with the fact that I have trouble understanding that, because I possessed far more experienced than required to begin with, someone with more experience than I should be applying for an executive position.
What makes this even more frustrating is the fact that this is the second time in a row that this has happened to me, in less than a year. Not to mention the impending doom that awaits my current contract, (I wish I could say more regarding that, however, Dooce, yeah know.) OR the fact that if you are a programmer companies always need lots and lots of you. In my case, each company only needs ONE person with my experience to do what it is that I do exceptionally well, thus the playing field is not very wide.
I prayed and prayed over this. I put myself on every prayer chain I know of. Therefore, the answer to all of this is that this position was not in God's plan for my life. I will just have to wait and see what wondrous thing he has in store for me and my children next.









7 Comments:
Sorry, I.S. Maybe you're right though....maybe it wasn't meant to be and you'll find something even better next time :)
So what was the prayer? That you would get the job? It should have been for the strength and courage to accept what happens. That is the hardest prayer of all. Been there, done that. I'll e-mail more later.
Bummer! How frustrating for you but maybe they felt you were overqualified, if they are only a small company they maybe aren't too sure with swimming with the real 'big fish' yet. Don't call em is my advice.....their loss, don't let em know your miffed.....you'll get a better one, you'll see, then they will be spitting! :o)
Oh dammit... I am so very sorry, I.S. That's such crap news. I know how much you wanted it.
I went thru the same thing when I was job hunting. Countless interviews of jobs I "knew" I had. Only to get a rejection letter. Or no letter at all. That's even worse. I wish I had some comforting words... just hang in there. I'm with Leesa. Maybe something better is out there for you. Maybe something wouldn't have worked out with this job.
Hang in there & keep the faith.
M~
Hey, I.S....that's how you have to look at it. God's got other plans for you. You never ever know what great things may br right around the corner!
so sorry you didn't get the job, but like everyone else has said maybe something even better is around the corner...
*hugs*
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
<< Home