Saturday, September 17, 2005

Stat Counter - Just more to worry about

I started using Stat Counter. Now I can actualy see the IP addresses of those that are visiting my site. Of course, I can tell the regulars right off, but there were a few regular/returning visiters that I didn't know. I actually was able to google the IP address and found out what sites this person was visiting, and I was also able to discover his true identity.

I do not think for one minute that he is a stalker. I think that he is just a faithful reader that choses to remain unkown. What scares me is the ease in which I was able to find out so much about this person. Their name, age, address, email address, hobbies and intrests, internet surfing habits (porn), where he went to highschool and who his friends were while he was there. Truthfully, I only spent about 30 minutes and I found out all this about him. If I was willing to spend a little green I could have found out far more about him and his family.

Like I said, I don't think he is a cyber stalker, he just wishes to remain unknown, and I intend to keep it this way. So fear not if you read this. I just, frankly, scares the shit out of me that someone could do the same thing with my IP address. I am sure if I was of a mind I could have eventually have gotten his social security number and far more damaging information about him and his finances.

It's a good thing I am not harboring evil intentions or he would be in trouble. I will also tell you that I tried this with other wayword IP addresses and was not able to get this much information. His downfall was that he commented on several websites using his real name and often adding his email address in the same comment section. Just be careful all of you with the amount of information you are sharing in comment sections!

3 Comments:

Blogger Marianna wrote...

Oy. Ok, that's strange. I left you a comment but now it's gone. I wanted to come back & add some more to it ~ I'm in Herndon, VA according to statcounter. I guess Road Runner (my cable co.) is picking up an IP out of VA again. I thought I was in Waco til recently, but I guess I'm all over the country tonite! lol

M~

18/9/05 9:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Very freaky! I agree with you--be careful. Take care.

19/9/05 9:39 pm  
Blogger Joi, who else? wrote...

That is some scary stuff!!

21/9/05 10:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home