BBC America, Mystery Mondays, and "What did they say?"
I just love Mystery Mondays on BBC America. I believe Amercian TV could take a few lessons from British TV. I for one would rather watch fewwer high quality 2 hour episodes, like "Blood in the Wire," or "Murphy's Law," then a weeks worth of CSI Miami. I do feel differently about the Law & Order Franchise. They segments are excelent for only being on for an hour. (Which in T.V. land is only about 42 minutes.)
Last night "Blood in the Wire" was smiply riveting. Frankly, I was gob smacked! ( You will have to watch British T.V. to know that it means awestruck.) "Murphy's Law" was also very good, but a little more predictable.
However, this is not the true point to my blog. I am hoping Katya Coldheart (see link to the left, yes I am lazy today.) can clear this one up for me. What the heck does blood in the wire mean? Does wire mean telephone line? I thought you guys called that the tellie. The premise of the show is that a British professor cum porofiler puts himself in the place of the preditors and the victims in order to suss out the bad guys.
Now some funny stuff I have learned about the Brits on BBC America.
If you plan to visit a friend, but don't know when you should arrive you ask, "What time would you like me to knock you up?"
If someone is really under your skin in London you say, "He's up my nose!"
"Are you having me on?" or "Are you winding me up?" means, "Are you kidding me?" or "Are you pulling my leg?" (Which in and of itself is pretty damn funny.)
If your torch & jumper are in the boot, then your flashlight and sweater are in the trunk of your car.
If you are really pissed, you are not mad you are drunk, and they say shite in stead of shit.
I learned from a British friend I work with, that the F word is no big deal to them. However, it is very vulgar if you use the term "Bugger." I also believe that Bollucks is like Bull Shit is over here.
Normally I don't have too much trouble understanding them, while watching. However, when those bloody Scotsman start talking I'm done. I tried to watch a Scotish detective show and I almost had to give it up, because I could not understand the star of the show. For the life of me I can't think of the name of the program. It started with an R and the star was is also the star of McCallum. Anyway, doesn't really matter.
I just really want to understand the term blood in the wire, for some reason it is getting my knickers all in a twist!
Last night "Blood in the Wire" was smiply riveting. Frankly, I was gob smacked! ( You will have to watch British T.V. to know that it means awestruck.) "Murphy's Law" was also very good, but a little more predictable.
However, this is not the true point to my blog. I am hoping Katya Coldheart (see link to the left, yes I am lazy today.) can clear this one up for me. What the heck does blood in the wire mean? Does wire mean telephone line? I thought you guys called that the tellie. The premise of the show is that a British professor cum porofiler puts himself in the place of the preditors and the victims in order to suss out the bad guys.
Now some funny stuff I have learned about the Brits on BBC America.
If you plan to visit a friend, but don't know when you should arrive you ask, "What time would you like me to knock you up?"
If someone is really under your skin in London you say, "He's up my nose!"
"Are you having me on?" or "Are you winding me up?" means, "Are you kidding me?" or "Are you pulling my leg?" (Which in and of itself is pretty damn funny.)
If your torch & jumper are in the boot, then your flashlight and sweater are in the trunk of your car.
If you are really pissed, you are not mad you are drunk, and they say shite in stead of shit.
I learned from a British friend I work with, that the F word is no big deal to them. However, it is very vulgar if you use the term "Bugger." I also believe that Bollucks is like Bull Shit is over here.
Normally I don't have too much trouble understanding them, while watching. However, when those bloody Scotsman start talking I'm done. I tried to watch a Scotish detective show and I almost had to give it up, because I could not understand the star of the show. For the life of me I can't think of the name of the program. It started with an R and the star was is also the star of McCallum. Anyway, doesn't really matter.
I just really want to understand the term blood in the wire, for some reason it is getting my knickers all in a twist!









3 Comments:
I always thought "tellie" was the television?
I don't know...all I do know is that I love those accents! :)
i've never actually watch blood in the wire...it based on a novel by Val McDermid (i think thats her name)...it was the title to one of her books...i'm far too busy watching CSI...lol
the tellie is the TV, the telephone wire would be the cord...
to be knocked up is to be pregnant, you would "knock on" for someone though...
i've never said someone was up my nose, thats new on me...
yep - the boot is the truck, more american police should watch BBC America - we get some funny looks when we tell the our driving licence is in the boot of the car...
we still say shit as well, but fcuk is commonplace...and bollocks is a term i use frequently (i'm not much of a lady...lol)
oooh Rebus was a good TV show...hope i've cleared up some points...
I know this is not related to your posting today of jargons... but I have a question about your online dating experiences. Do you find that you get "hits" from women that are... ummm... hmm... how can I say this? Not your type at ALL?! Like you look at their picture & just wonder WHAT ON EARTH would make them even remotely think they have a chance?!?! Gawd, that sounds so shallow. I look at criteria before I even think about dinging someone. If I don't match up, I don't ding. Plain & simple. I get dings from smokers, people that are not in my umm.... dang, ... ummm... not even remotely CLOSE to my criteria. And I just wonder. What on EARTH?!
Am I making sense?
M~
Post a Comment
<< Home