Tuesday, February 01, 2005

? for my female readers - Sorry Steve and David

I already plan to take David's advice regarding soap. (I thought that was a given, but maybe not.) However, we are meeting for dinner after work, since we both work down town, but live 30 miles from each other. I am thinking I will probably supplement the a.m. soap with some stink juice before I leave work.

From what I understand, cologne works with the wearer's body chemistry and can smell completely different from one person to the next. That being the case should I try something new on a first date since I am not sure how I may end up smelling? Ode de Pig Sty, is not what I want to end up smelling like. I normally don't wear cologne on a daily basis, but when I do, I stick with my old standby, Ralph Lauren's Polo. It works for me and has done so for more than 20 years. However, that is what concerns me, is Polo tired and warn out? When I was in school it seemed that Polo was what every guy wore, now I am not so sure.

The other factor in all of this is I have the worst nose of anyone I know. I could be standing amidst a huge pile of horse apples, while somebody rubbed it all over my body and I still wouldn't be able to smell it. So if I try something new and end up being a rankmeister, I would never know.


I also hear Nautica is good too????

Any and all thoughts regarding this subject would be appreciated. (Even from my male readership.)


UPDATE: What's with all the "use soap, brush your teeth and clean under your fingernails?" I do that kind of thing anyway, along with trimming my beard and shaving the parts that aren't bearded. (You know like my back and my butt. LOL) Might even get a hair cut. Can I assume that because all the ladies are suggesting this stuff that they have all been on dates with men who did not understand the simple fact that they needed to be clean. Go Figure!



7 Comments:

Blogger Sprinkles wrote...

I'm probably not the person to give advice here. I've been married forever and dated my husband a long time before we got married. But I have to say, the soap smell works for me much more than cologne. Not persay...the soap, but you know..nice and squeaky clean. The natural scent of a clean man is very nice.

When my husband wears cologne now he wears Obsession. That's a nice scent. I'm more of a fan of the Ralph Lauren Polo though personally, which is what he used to wear. That is .::if::. cologne is a must.

If you're heading there from work, bring a toothbrush with ya...brush your pearly whites before you head out. I'm not sure I'd spray on cologne...but if you have to then keep it mild. It's a huge turn off to me if a guy's cologne scent is overpowering..and keep in mind everyone's scent detection sensitivity varies! Not to mention...oh gosh, what if she is allergic and spends the entire night sneezing? I've seen that happen!

1/2/05 9:18 am  
Blogger Tasty wrote...

I'm a huge fan of cologne. Go with the standard on this one, (but you might find a new one later, as I do tend to think of jr. high whenever I smell Polo. Heh.) In fact, the Sunday night date got kissed because he smelled great. Um, and because of the damn-I-really-want-to-kiss-her look on his face; it was irresistable.

Also, definitely take the advice about the tooth brush, and clean and nails are my favorite things -- if you use hand lotion, even better.

1/2/05 10:45 am  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen wrote...

Yep...go with the tooth brush. Minty breath is ALWAYS a plus.

If you're too worried about a cologne you've never used before smelling...funky on you, maybe you'd just better stick with the soap thing that David mentioned. This may sound a little dorky but I had a cousin years ago that used Irish Spring and he always smelled so good to me (not in a sick way...you know what I mean).

I have purchased the Peanut King bottle after bottle of cologne...and all he EVER wants to use is Polo. Honestly, I think Polo is okay, but there are SO many new scents for a man out there that smell better (i.e. spicier, sexier and just plain "cleaner").

1/2/05 11:40 am  
Blogger Amy S. Petrik wrote...

Ralph's Polo is still good but if you have been using it for 20 years, um, it's time for a change. COOL WATER is an incredible scent. Smooth, nice, mmmm, yummy. Best wishes on the date. Keep us posted.

1/2/05 11:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

I'm 100% behind Cool Water ... It's absolutely delicious smelling. Well, just as long as you don't bathe in it or anything.

Dress sharp, take the standard hygiene routine up a notch, and just have a good time. If you can make a girl laugh and smile, you're already halfway there to winning her heart.

1/2/05 3:16 pm  
Blogger Laura wrote...

Third vote for the Cool Water. It smells good, but there is alot to be said for soap, too. She should NOT be able to smell your cologne sitting across the table from you, however, if she happens to get close to you, a nice little *hint* of cologne is good. And if you have been wearing Polo for 20 years, it is time for a change. It is a classic, but it can be a bit overpowering.
If you are worried about it, after work go in the bathroom, lock the damn door and wash up. Who's going to know and you'll be nice and fresh..yummy.
Aren't you glad you asked?? Ha!
~L.

1/2/05 5:09 pm  
Blogger manababies wrote...

Oops, this comment maybe be too late, but I think if you are going to use cologne, it seems to smell much better if you put in on HOURS before your date. When my husband comes home from work he still smells pretty good, like that intensity of his cologne is just right. Whereas in the a.m. when he's about to leave - wow, it's overpowering.

I like RL Polo, and I think it's become one of those 'classic scents' even though that takes me way way back. My husband is currently wearing Kenneth Cole, something I picked out randomly, and when I catch a whiff of it on the seat belt strap or on a random necktie, I always think, 'yum, this smells good!' But it really smells good after it's had a time to sink in and air out a bit, hehe. He also likes Giorgio Armani - Aqui. Hugo Boss is good too. As is Yves St. Laurent's Jazz. He prefers to go with the more obscure scents, I guess.

As far as the 'basic upkeep' stuff that women are recommending, personally speaking I used to have to work next to guys who just had no clue with things like that. Like if they made even a miniscule effort to appear clean, then maybe they would land some dates, hehe.

2/2/05 8:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home