Friday, March 28, 2008

Well, Whaddaya Know?

Then again, maybe not. Oh hell, I let you decide, cause God knows I can't figure it out......

This morning at the gym as I was talking with my trainer at then end of my workout the following events transpired.

I had just signed the paperwork stating I had used the second to last of my sessions, and we were discussing arrangements for additional training sessions when he kind of looked around me raised his left hand, and said, "Hi" as he waved. All in all, not an uncommon occurance, given that he works there as a trainer and is bound to see people he knows. At the time my back was facing so that no less than 97% of the gym was behind me, therefore, I had no idea who he was waving at. Just then a woman walks up from behind me and says, "How are you." and I assumed she is speaking to my trainer. Then in the same breath she says, " Are you tired? Well, if he just trained you then you are." At this point I realize she is speaking to me so I say that for some reason I am still tired and had had a hard time waking up this morning. As a matter of fact I had woken up only 6 minutes before I was to meet with my trainer. She said, she had beat me only by 30 minutes. Then she asked my trainer if there was a coffee pot anywhere. He said, "Yes but its locked up, and they both chuckled. I said, that was ok with me because I was a Diet Coke drinker. Poking fun at me she says, "Oh, one of those are you." Insert big grin from her...... I teased her a bit about coffee drinkers walking around holding a cup of coffee at 4:30 pm in the middle of August when it is 115 degrees outside, and blah blah blah.

At this point I still have no idea who this woman is. The conversation lasted just millaseconds more before she flitted away. At which time I had come to realize just how devistatingly beautiful she was. She appeared to be about my age, give or take a few years. Her shoulder leangth hair, like mine, appeared to have at one time been blond but over the years turned light brown, and she has a body that won't stop. Not overly thin or muscular, definately no fat, and very "fit" all of which complemented her bright smile and wit.

Once she was out of earshot and I had been given ample time to asess her dorsal assests, I turned to my trainer and said.....

(I realize I am normally a civilized, well behaved, cultured, respectful, and refined gentleman. However, there are times when my "maleness" takes over and my refining halo slips ever so slightly.)

"Dude, she is smokin' hot! Is she married?" To which he replied, "I don't believe so. I have never heard her talk about anyone else." I then said, "Hopefully, one day soon women I don't even know will wave at me, or better yet come right over and talk to me like they do you. (My trainer is the exact opposite of the "Alpha Male" personality muscle head gym rats types at my gym. In short, he is a genuinely nice guy, and the women obviously find him very attractive, which I am certain is the bain of his girl friend.) Side track sorry.... Then he says in responce to me, "Ah, I belive she was talking to you not me, she certainly spent far more time talking with you."

.....It still hadn't sunk in at this point that she came over to talk with me. After all, it was not me she waved at. I had my back to her. Furthermore, I have never seen her in the nearly 2 years I have been a member. (Trust me I would have remembered her.) Plus, I am thinking to myself, what would she want with me. To date, women that look like her tend not to ever want to have anything to do with me, nor has one ever come over to speak with me even though I had never met her much less even laid eyes on her.

It was time for me to go home and shower, so off I went, but the warmth of her smile stayed with me. Even after I had dropped "Little Man" off at school on my way to work, she was still on my mind, so I started to analize the event from earlier this morning. The more I thought about it the more I realized that she had not walked up and spoken to my trainer, she had walked up and spoken to me. (I still don't know if she trains with my trainer or if he just knows her from around.) Now it is finally starting to sink in. Then I get to thinking, was this a set up? If it is I won't complain! Then, I began to rationalize why she might actually want to talk with me when she could have any man she wanted, and I decided that even though I have not yet reached my goal I am lightyears closer than I was. AND the sweats I had on might have camoflaged some of it too. Then I began to think about the other men in my age group at the gym, what they looked like, and what their additudes/personalities were, and realized that if they weren't gay (there are alot of them at my club) or married, most were in there unsuccessfully trying to fight off the fact that they had not taken good care of themselves and it was showing. (Yes, that was me too, two years ago, but not now.)

By this point I am half way to work, and my thoughts were racing through my head. I also realized that she had been making a big point of holding her coffee up and drawing attention to it and that she was using her left hand to do it with. Furthermore, while I had not been looking at the time because I thought she had come over to talk with my trainer, that her ring finger was quite bare. While still in shock at the fact that someone like her could have possably have wanted to talk to me I started trying to remember as much about her as I could. Was she wearing makeup, most women don't at the gym, and if she did have any on it was very basic. (But hey, I am a guy and I could never be certain even on a good day if I were actually trying to figure it out.)

Once I got my SUV snugly tucked into the parking ramp at work, reality hit me.

1. She may acutally have been trying to hit on my trainer.
2. She may train with him, and had just come over to say hi.
3. She may even have seen my trainer with a coffe cup before and thought he might be a good person to ask where she might get more.

Then I start to think. OK fotonut slow the F down! If she is interested in you, and that is a BIG IF, you don't want to screw it up by acting like an über desperate, mouth breathing, emotional cripple. So take it slow. Talk to super cool trainer next week and see if you can find out if he trains her and what else he knows about her.

Fear not, I am no longer the guy who will sit around all night thinking up a whole life revolved around this chance meeting, causing me to rush in like a bull in a china shop and ruin everything. I am stable enough to know that if it is meant to be there will likely be nothing I could do to screw it up, and if it isn't meant to be, and she has no interest in me at all, I am cool with that too. Now I just have to do my best to stop thinking about it until next Tuesday. YEAH RIGHT!

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve F. wrote...

Trust me - I for one know what a chance encounter can mean...

In the words of a wise man, "You will miss 100% of the balls you don't swing at."

Give chase, my good-looking brother, give chase - I'll be the chunky one with the cute partner cheering from the sidelines!

29/3/08 3:41 pm  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen wrote...

I'd definitely talk with the trainer like you were going to...but it sounds to me as if she might be interested in you, hon. :)

It couldn't hurt to learn a little bit about her (if your trainer knows anything, that is)....the more info., the better.

And what's with the "women that look like her tend not to ever want to have anything to do with me" crap???

31/3/08 5:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home