Thursday, October 11, 2007

I Am At A Complete And Total Loss Tonight...

I frankly don't even know how to tell you all.

(long pause)

I got offered a job today.

(another even longer pause)

It was not at all what I expected and I didn't see it coming either.

(yet another long pause)

I was offered a Supervisor's position. Just like the one I currently hold.

(still another long pause)

I feel so used.

Why, for the previous 5 weeks, .... (longest pause of them all) Actually, I think I am still in shock over this. Everything that has happened over the last 5 weeks has lead me to believe that I was the golden child. I applied for a Supervisor's job, then in the interview for that position they tell me that I am actually there to interview for one of 2 manager's jobs. When I said, there wasn't one posted, they told me that it hadn't been posted yet. (Not to metion I was interviewing with a big shot recruiter from Chicago who has other recruiters reporting to him.) Then they tell me they want me to interview with the Area Ops Manager (A Really Big, Big Shot) He tells me that he wants be but I need to interview with the National Account Manager. (still a pretty big Big Shot) In that interview I am told that I am being interview specifically for a Customer Ops Manager position.

Now in case you lost count this is the 3rd high power interview I have had so far. Everything is smooth as butter. Each interviewer seems genuinely interested in me and my abilities. When I spoke as though I already had the job none of them ever so much as flinched. Nobody came out and said it, but cripes wouldn't you think you had the world by the ass, after the 3rd hot shot interview? Well, I certainly did. (I tried not to read too much into it, but how the hell could I not?) Just to give you an idea, there are only 3 levels above the Area Ops Manager, the 3rd being the President of the company, and it is 5 levels above my current position, FIVE LEVELS!

Why, oh why then was I offered this lateral move? You could have knocked me over with a feather.

Like I said, I just don't know what to think. It is like I have a sign taped to my back that says, "Hey don't hire this schmuck because of......." and no matter how I beg and plead no one will tell me what the sign says. Worse yet they all act like there is no sign in the first place.

Worst of all I am stuck. I must have benefits in order for me to provide medication for me and my family on a monthly basis. There are only two companies in town that hire people with my skill set, and I work for one, and the other company no longer grants me interviews. Which I totally don't understand because no matter who you talk to, they all say what a wonderful "Over Achiver" I am, and they just can't understand why I have not yet been promoted, blah blah, blah. I have 19 years of experience, ten of which are in a supervisory roll, with a proven track record for being a high achiver.

You would think that these qualifications would make it easy for me to cross over into another field in a management job, but I would have to tell you to think again. I have been looking for a new job for over three years. Of those three years, two of them have been spent looking deligently. If I can not get another job that will give me the opportunity crawl out of the rut, how am I ever going to get out? The only thing left is drastic change, and I can't quit because of the medication / benefits issue.

Finally, I am very greatfull that I was offered a job. I really didn't want to have to be looking right now. The other thing is that at least this time I am not having to start over completely from scratch and work my way back up again only to be slapped back down, and I know that God loves me and want's whats best for me, and eventualy I will figure out what that is.

In the mean time I will pray for guidence......

5 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen wrote...

Aw, Fotonut...that REALLY bites...I am SO SORRY to hear that they jerked you around like that!

I know exactly what you mean by being stuck. I don't hate my job...but it's no where near where I wanted to be at this stage of my life...but I have to stay because of the benefits...medical coverage, etc. A good worker does what a good worker has to do to keep the family going, you know?

Anyway, it just wasn't meant to be that you got that position. You never know what's right around the corner for you, you know?

12/10/07 4:47 am  
Blogger Marianna wrote...

I agree with Stacy on this one. Perhaps this is a stepping stone to something bigger down the road? I remember you telling us that in a matter of months (?) that your position would have been eliminated. Think of it this way. You have a job, a roof over your head, a beautiful new TRUCK... perhaps it's not the job making big bucks more, but at least it's a job. You're not unemployed, trying to figure out how to make ends meet month-to-month. In the meantime, you can continue looking for something else out there. You have the comfort of knowing you have money coming in while you look.

This is hard, I know it is. It's hard to see the glass as 1/2 full right now. But keep the faith. Try to, anyway.

M~

12/10/07 8:37 am  
Blogger Redhead Editor wrote...

The hardest part isn't the job offer but the being used part. I hear ya. It sucks, but I know you will turn lemons into lemonade (or get out the tequila and make margaritas) with this one because you know this job is better than unemployment. Been there, done that, have the tee-shirt and it ain't pretty. Also, I was blackballed at the place I worked for for 18 years without ever knowing why. And now look where I am.

Hang in there. Keep your chin up. The sun'll come out tomorrow... betcher bottom dollar there'll be sun... and all that. You will survive. And we're sending positive thoughts your way to endure what you're given. The hardest prayer of all.

13/10/07 9:54 am  
Blogger Nature Girl wrote...

I'm so sorry that it didn't work out how you'd hoped. I would have thought the same as you...
it totally bites that you got jerked around like that, but I am glad you were not left out in the cold complteley.
Hugs,
Stacie

14/10/07 6:40 pm  
Blogger Steve F. wrote...

Oh, Tim...I am so, so, so sorry.

"That bites" and "that sucks wet ones" (and not in a good way) is the best that I can say, other than stomping my feet and being furious for you (which doesn't come through so well over the internet).

I know all too well the "I need this job and its benefits, even if I'd much rather be elsewhere!" syndrome.

The second-most suckiest part of this - beyond the rejection, beyond the feeling-used part, is the sense that "I really thought I deserved better than this."

The very suckiest part is to go to this position, and having to go in with an "attitude of gratitude," rather than a "what are you losers going to suck out of my soul and through my a** today?" attitude.

The latter would be justified - but of course it doesn't get you anywhere.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers, brother.

17/10/07 10:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home