Thursday, November 18, 2004

BEGGARS UNITE

For several years now the number of people begging on the streets and corners of Kansas City, Missouri has increased dramatically. We are now past just having homeless people out in the street. (I remember when we used to call these people bumbs.) On any given weekend you can find youth basketball teams, church groups, and any number of other groups standing on all four corners of major intersections holding cans and signs.

Before we talk about anything else, let's start with the safety issues. On the way home from work one day I saw a church group at an intersection with signs asking for help raising money for their new building. They had about twenty people total on all four corners, ages 4 to 25. Evidently, the little shavers where there to raise the cute factor, I mean who can say no to a little kid? I immediately thought what if one of those little tikes gets hit. Most of them are so small they can't even be seen over your front bumper. I was sickened at the thought of one of those little guys laying on the pavement, blood pooled around his head, and the EMTs shaking their head above him at the senselessness of it all.

Secondly, and more importantly, anybody can buy poster board and markers at Walmart. I often wonder where the money is "really" going. I have a friend that brags about the fact that he went around with a can collecting for his "Church" (I doubt the boy has ever darkened the doorway of any church.) until he had enough to buy himself his first truck.


Then a guy could get to thinking, hey four guys and their sons, print up basketball camp T-shirts ($150.00), eight coffee cans, and on a good Saturday split what's left of Five Grand four ways. That's down right entrepreneurial!

My all time favorite was a couple sitting on an over pass with a sign that said, "Need money for food" not need food, need MONEY for food. Their clothes were laundered, their hair combed, and both of them were drinking a coke, and the man was taking out his pack of Marlboros. At the time I still smoked and cigarettes were over $2 a pack. PLEASE! Do we look that stupid?Evidently we are. I have seen people put fives and tens in these cans and jars. (Did I forget to mention, that all of this is no doubt tax free?)

One of our news anchors did a piece on the homeless issues of Kansas City a few years back. He found 11 small business owners who were willing to hire a homeless person sight unseen, to give them a leg up. One guy even waived the cost of the uniform the person would need to buy in order to work there. Then the anchorman set out and found 11 homeless men gave them the gift of a job and the chance to change their life for the better again.

All these men had to do was literally show up and they were hired. For those of you how can't venture a guess at how many of these guys actually showed up, let me spell it out for you.

Z E R O

My brother and I were talking about this one day and he said he had seen what he thought to be a homeless man on a corner with his little sign and can in hand, pack his things up and get into his car and drive off. I work downtown and am asked at least once a week for change. I never give it. Maybe that is un-christian of me but I will not support anyone's habit, or promote the beggar's union.

There was also a case here on T.V. about twenty years ago, where a beggar was harassing people in order to get change. He was dressed in a brand new Chief's jacket, and new tennis shoes, with a nice clean pair of jeans on. The reporter said that the beggar proudly told him he was not homeless and that he took home about 40k a year. Right now 40k isn't too bad, but 20 years ago, 40k tax free was a one hell of a lot'a bank!

I can't help but wonder if political correctness has had anything to do with the rise in the amount of beggars. It's at the point were it is damn near chic to be homeless. If we could revert back to the days when we called these people what they really are, beggars and bumbs, then maybe people would stop giving them money and further propagate the problem.


Until then, I will be looking for a sturdy cardboard box, and a warm street corner to supplement my income. I really didn't like to shave anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home